Sunday, October 24, 2004

Medulla by Bjork

well I finally "get it". It took me weeks to get to the point where I wouldn't race to the eject button after the first couple songs. But I have this kind of reaction to most of Bjork's work at first. She is challenging us and I'd be surprised if I didn't balk at first.

The key is pick one song at a time and really listen to it. The first few efforts I had it on in the background and it all blended together. Using voices give all the songs a same tonality. But once you crack into it, you can see her brilliance. She will abandon and alienate the poppy fans from Debut but she gains more credibility from the avant garde with this release.

By the way, several songs feature Inuit throat singing, which is sort of a Canadian sound. I can remember that old old short animated NFB flick where the flock of geese come toward us, Inuit throat singers providing there sound. The sound fascinated me as a child and it still does today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home