Thursday, May 15, 2008

Dropping off E waste from the old days


Just the other day someone asked how I was able to snag ian.ca as a domain. I started my story with "I was on the net before the Web..." part way through someone asked "What do you mean by that?" I had to explain the net BW (Before the Web) to someone who's never known it any other way. CLUI and dial up seems so quaint now. Even the gear seems so primitive in design. Case in point,...

Yes that IS a Supra 14,4 modem I am holding. I am doing some spring cleaning and I have a lot of old stuff I am getting rid of. I still have lots of ADB, and SCSI devices and cabling. A ton of phone cables, as you used to get one with every computer or modem you bought> And of course a couple beige G3's including the FrankenMac, the G3 I manages to coble together and run Yellow Dog Linux on!

All of it is getting loaded up and taken to Computers for Schools over on Wyatt Road. The Prov is funding the Ewaste depots again, so get rid of all that old tech. Lets be real, you are never gonna use a SCSI device again!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW - Ian, I remember that I first 'met' you on the IDM list way back in '94ish. I also remember getting a 14.4 modem and thinking how much faster it was than the 2400baud modem it replaced!

I am so glad that that program is back - we were looking for it last year, but it was a pilot project and had closed... You would think that keeping 8600s, G3s, SyQuest Drives and such would be geek-cool, but they just end up gathering too much dust.

I do, however, keep a bright orange 5.25" floppy on one of my shelves at home. Total geel but cool.

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you want my old 300 baud?.. form back in the BBS days...

6:18 AM  
Blogger Bruce said...

One of the last things i did before the trip, was make a run to Syrotech. didn't have a chance to post the pic of my (snif) pile o stuff, or OMG, the pile of stuff there. But I will when I get back. Kinda hurts, but K is pretty happy about the new spaciousness :>)

2:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home