Saturday, July 03, 2004

Free Comic Day

I went to Cover to Cover in Ft Richmond, on our way back from biking to The ST Norbert market. I was met with a scene that coulda been outa Ghost World.

Two young girls behind the counter, rather geeky in appearance (sorry no other way to put it, maybe geeky by association, I mean they work in a comic shop!) A white patio table set by the window with syrofoam glasses of coke and orange pop with a sign, printed out on the computer "Free drinks, help yourself, D is for diet" Some of the cups had a letter "d" drawn on them,.... and absolutely no one in the shop! what were there were piles upon piles of the free special issues waiting for the throngs that won't show. They also gave me a couple FREE hero clicks with my comic, piles of Spierman and Hulk heroclicks waiting for excited kids to snap them up.

"where are the huge crowds of people?" I ask
" Dunno, they musta came before we opened", That could be, they opened at 11am cuz I dropped by on the way out and it was closed...
"How long you've been here?"
"'bout three years"
"well thats good isn't it" I asked looking for some ray of hope.
"Yeah we haven't closed yet!" the girl replied, bringing the pathetic showing back into focus....

I wandered around, wanting to buy the whole damn store up, but with Lynda outside with the bikes waiting, I took my free stuff and left. My heart went out to this shop. If there is ONE day the geeks should rule, its the day that is celebrated all over North America, giving away a little piece of the magic that we find so appealing, making the rest of them understand, just a little....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When i unpack my stuff, we have to go for coffee, i have three boxes full of comics....and no not archie comics ;p

~Nat

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home