Thursday, July 19, 2007

WHAT the $%&! do want from me?


WHAT the $%&! do want from me?
Originally uploaded by ianmcc.

When I get hired to come to a business and shoot their setup I always caution my contact to at least inform their staff that I am coming. Even with that advance warning staff people can be less that cordial about getting photographed.

I don't usually single out people but this guy was down right grumpy to me. In a room full of people who work on computers (read: lacking in social skills) this guy was the resident curmudgeon. Ask I approached him to take a turn in front of my lens, people glanced up with smirks and snickers that suggested "Oh shit he is asking Bob, this ought to be good!" All my attempts at humour with this guy only got sterner looks and more giggles from his coworkers.
When I was finally ready to photograph him I asked him to look up and smile. He turned and said soemthing to the effect of " You want me to do what!?" and I grabbed this frame. This was as happy as we got. Meanwhile everyone was thrilled I was poking the resident pitbull with a stick!

I have heard every whining excuse and complaint about how or why I shouldn't photograph someone. Some jobs you can hear this from... every... single... person... all day, and it wears on you.
When they say "I don't want to take my photograph!" sometimes I am tempted to say " I don't want to take your photograph either!" But I don't!

But one of the best rewards to the job is having one of these reluctant subjects emerge from the shoot and say "hey that wasn't so bad, and you know it looks alright!"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha, he doesn't look that cranky in this shot, but back when I worked there I don't recall anyone being anything but wonderful.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Ian said...

well I guess things have changed since you worked there. (Whoever you are.)

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home