Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Nikon Canada Repair service SUCKS!

I have had a 28-70mm lens in repair since Nov 2006. In that time the following has occured:

-Nikon called with estimate, I approve and beg to give them my mastercard,they decline and claim they can't take my mastercard # till the repair is done

-1 month later I call to find out what's going on, they can't find the lens AT ALL,then do and claim I delcined the repair estimate, when I freak on that then say "Oh wait we're waiting for parts"

-1 month later I call, and it still waiting for parts, its now Jan 2007

-call last week and suddenly the lens was shipped "yesterday"

-Call today to get tracking number since I don't have my lens and I find out its sitting there waiting for my mastercard #, with no phone call from Nikon since Nov for the original estimate.
Granted I didn't give them the # last week, they told me it shipped. Since I can't even remember if/when I did give it to them I assumed I had already given it to them back when I flipped on them in Dec.

When asked if they track or keeep a file on a repair that includes the mistakes being made, the person I spoke to was completely unapologetic about the entire screwed up process, he just wanted my Mastercard number and to get off the phone.

In fact no one I have ever spoken to through this entire process seemed the least bit concerned that my entire customer experience was marred with mistake after mistake.

Also each of MY phone calls to Nikon was met with at least a 15 min hold and then several minutes of someone searching,papers rustling in the background, with some of the people having to call me back

I am mad enough right now to call and speak to a manager but I really don't think it would do me any good. I still wouldn't have my lens and Nikon still wouldn't give a shit.

In my search for a email address to forward this rant to I see they are adverstising for a service dept supervisor! ( Update I have been informed this is for a different div , not for Consumer cameras)

In hindsight I should have documented dates, names, statements made etc. But I had no idea it was going to be this confusing and screwed up. That's why I am warning everyone else.

-Now I am ranting on my blog, linking it to several forums I am on, and considering sell the whole kit for the Other Brand.(I'll calm down eventually)

Chalk this up to yet another incredibly bad customer service experience after the sale. It's just getting worse and worse these days.

Update: my email to the only address I could find on the website has yeilded results! I won't post the entire response (available upon request) but they address my concerns, and credit me for the cost of the repairs. I am impressed, I am completly surprised they've responded in a matter of hours. I just wish it didn't have to be this way. But with this small gesture, I am completly satisfied, see how easy it can be?

7 Comments:

Blogger Bruce said...

DON'T GET ME STARTED!!!


"I am mad enough right now to call and speak to a manager"
Good luck.

"but I really don't think it would do me any good."
It wouldn't

"Nikon still wouldn't give a shit."
They don't.

It doesn't take long before you begin to believe that the service department must actually be run by that "other" company. It is the only explanation for a department seemingly bent on REDUCING customer satisfaction.

But eventually you will have your lens back and it will all seem like a distant long drawn out inexcusable nightmare.

PS - one of my login passwords is 'nikonsucks'

10:46 AM  
Blogger Ian said...

good one! I might try that, it will be VERY easy to remember!

10:53 AM  
Blogger Paul T. said...

I purchased a used 35mm f/1.4 AI off of eBay. The seller noticed while packaging it that the aperture was not working correctly. He informed me that he will cover the repair service at Nikon. I was ok with this.
Nikon Canada is 10 minutes drive from my house, so that's also convenient.

Dropped it off and one week later was informed of the repair costs. $180. So everything is good.
Took 6 weeks.
Called them twice during that time for updates. Wasn't really given an answer.

I've also been by there to pick up parts (it's faster and more convenient for me to order stuff directly from them then from a store.

Every time I'm there, I'm treated like I'm interrupting them and that they are much more important than me. It's really frustrating. Their actual service is great. My lens came back much better than wen I dropped it off, but the wait is crazy.

In contrast, I own a 4 year old Canon PowerShot S400. This camera stopped working properly. I thought it was toast. Turns out, Canon is fixing this particular problem I had out of Warranty free of charge. Canon, unlike Nikon uses independent service centers. So I dropped it off at the closest one and 3 week later had a fixed and good as new camera.

7:41 PM  
Blogger niterytur said...

Jonathon Pallone
Beware of Nikon Products. When you try to get them repaired they offer you a different camera (which they want you to buy) instead of repairing the damaged ones. I know because I sent them 2- Nikon Coolpix L14's.

2:21 PM  
Blogger niterytur said...

Canon sounds like the way to go... I don't care how long I wait for service as long as it finally comes. Nikon promises service in its adds and then the old bait and switch.

2:24 PM  
Blogger niterytur said...

Nikon has lost my family's business.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nikon Parts Canada sucks as well.
They didn't give me details on shipping cost or the total cost, they just shipped the parts out without letting me know. Later on, I found out that they charged me three times of the part cost for the delivery. WTF? Because they didn't let me know in advance of time, I missed the shipment, and carrier company asked me to come and pick it up at their location or wait till they come around again. What's the purpose of using carrier or delivery if I have to wait or go to pick it up? All they got to say was, we mentioned that it's on processing.

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home